Website Manager

White Oak Athletic Club

History Of the WOAC

The White Oak Athletic Club is a non-profit youth recreation club formed in 1949.  At that time Joe Haubner and Joe Betsch stood on a hill at the end of Paramount Ridge Lane and wondered aloud what could be done with the creek running between the two hills at the end of what is now White Oak Drive.

Joe Betsch had been active in baseball in the Groesbeck area and suggested that a ball field could be built on the site.  The two pooled their resources as local builders and began hauling ground and grading hills.  On weekends Mr. Betsch and his wife Dorothy would cut down trees with a hand saw.  Soon it became apparent that they would need funding for the teams.

Joe Betsch went to local people and asked for $100 to support the teams.  He collected approximately $1100.  The first meeting of the White Oak Athletic Association was held in 1949 at the home of Joe and Dorothy Betsch.  Frank Ulrich was elected the first president.  Joe Haubner was made an honorary member for contributing the use of the 5 acre tract of land which is now Haubner Field.  Open meetings and membership drives were held and the WOAA grew by leaps and bounds.

Many members of the community, including the ball players, volunteered many hours to get the field ready for Opening Day.  Joe Zugelter's chicken house was moved to the grounds for a concession stand.  The outfield fence was built from the trees that were cut down to make room for the field.
Opening Day at Haubner Field was April 23, 1950.  The festivities began with a parade, prizes, speakers and the presentation of a flag from the White Oak Civic Association.

The White Oak Athletic Club currently sponsors boys and girls in Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball and Instructional programs.  Our membership is over 1500 families.  Haubner Field now has 3 baseball/softball diamonds which are also used for soccer, concession stand, batting cage and our newest addition, Joe Betsch Fieldhouse.